January 27 - April 7, 2021
Originally from Longtown, Mississippi, A. H. Jerriod Avant is a graduate of Jackson State University and has earned MFA degrees from Spalding University and New York University. His poems have appeared in the Mississippi Review, Boston Review, Pinwheel, Ecotone, Callaloo, The Baffler, LARB Quarterly and other journals. Avant is a recipient of residencies and scholarships from Vermont Studio Center, the Breadloaf Writer’s Conference and Naropa’s Summer Writing Program. He has received two winter poetry fellowships from the Fine Arts Work Center in Provincetown and a 2019 emerging artist grant from the St. Botolph Club Foundation. During August of 2020, Avant served as a guest curator for the Academy of American Poets’ Poem-a-Day series. He is currently a doctoral English student and instructor of record at the University of Rhode Island.
Artist works, talks, and interviews:
- Watch A. H. Jerriod Avant's Residency Talk.
- Read the Creators, Makers & Doers interview with A. H. Jerriod Avant.
- Read about A. H. Jerriod in Boise Weekly, The Sound of Story: A conversation with James Castle House poet-in-residence A. H. Jerriod Avant (published on March 24, 2021).
- Listen to A. H. Jerriod Avant's interview on Radio Boise's The Poetry Show (aired on April 3, 2021).
- Watch A. H. Jerriod Avant's Final Presentation.